Born In Detroit, MI, Bill Davidson was raised in an active Jewish home infused with a passion for Zionism and local Jewish affairs. Traveling leaders of the Zionist movement making their way through Detroit always found a friendly reception in his grandparents’ home. Bill’s grandparents were hosts to such Zionists leaders as Shmarya Levin and Menachem Ussishkin in 1917 and the early 1920’s. His mother, active in the Hadassah organization invited as early as 1916 Henrietta Szold to Detroit, and established the first Chapter of Hadassah in the region.
True to his roots, Bill maintained an active interest in the State of Israel. Like his grandfather, Bill sought a business connection in the country. His first investment was in Ormat, followed by Orbot, one of the leading success stories in Israel. In 1989 he and his partner the late David Hermelin acquired Phoenicia Glass. Bill Davidson brought float-glass technology to Israel. Bill Davidson had an active interest in the Israeli Banking industry as well, specifically in the IDB Holding Company.
His passion and monumental generosity towards the archaeology of the Land of Israel enabled the IAA to establish the following extraordinary projects, which forever changed the landscape of Jerusalem:
- THE DAVIDSON CENTER FOR EXHIBITIONS AND VIRTUAL RECONSTRUCTION
- THE JERUSALEM ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK
- THE SECOND TEMPLE PERIOD PARK
- THE SECOND TEMPLE PERIOD HULDA GATE STAIRS
- THE RESTORATION OF THE BETH SHEAN ROMAN THEATRE
- THE HALL OF ARCHAEOLOGY IN THE NATIONAL CAMPUS FOR THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF ISRAEL
- THE AKELDAMA FAMILY TOMBS EXHIBITION
- THE ANCIENT GLASS FROM THE HOLY LAND EXHIBITION
The memory of Bill Davidson will forever be remembered. He will be sorely missed by everyone.
Visit us on YouTube